During the last few decades the human generations have experienced a huge growth in the development of technology. Baby boomers and Millennials have experienced a huge change in technology that has had an effect on their behavior and lifestyle.
Baby Boomers born between 1945 to 1965
- Grew up to the development of technology and are classified as “digital immigrants”
- Saw the first IBM and Apple PC’s
- Used Pre-mobile technology
- Lived with the main technology breakthroughs of the rotary phone and tube television
- Experienced entertainment outdoors with other kids learning conversation skills and life lessons
In the early 60’s when technology was first introduced to the boomers it had little impact on their daily lives and didn’t play a pivotal role in that era. In the 70’s technology had little impact because it was seen as something that only the academics used. It was in the 80’s that technology invaded people’s homes and changed their behaviors.
Millennials born between 1979 to early 2000’s
- Are “Digital Natives” who lived through the technological evolution
- Grew up in a time of rapid change
- Connect to people globally because by the 1990’s technology was everywhere
- Adapted quickly to the explosive change
- Called the“ Always-on” generation with Internet and smartphones
Today boomers and millennials have access to the same technology but their behaviors are different. Boomers use technology to assist them with getting information and increase their conveniences where Millennials use technology for connections, recognition and self-expression.
Generations will come and go. Technology on the other hand will always stay and continue to evolve in the hands of the current generation. Technology in the future is going to shape the newer generations and among 81% of children will have a digital footprint by the time they are only two years old.
Depending on who you are, sometimes that rotary phone doesn’t sounds so bad.
Sales – Iowa/Southern Minnesota
The Evolution of Technology Across Generations. (2016, November 10). Retrieved from https://nordic-it.com/evolution-technology-throughout-generations/