June 10, 2020 at 11:00 a.m. CST | Designing Total Precast Office Buildings
Dan Parker will explain how total precast systems can be used on many types of commercial applications beyond parking garages, including but not limited to office buildings. This presentation will address what a total precast concrete structure is, how a total precast structure can benefit a project, and what components are used to construct a total precast structure. Participants will learn about precast applications and uses, about the manufacturing process, and gain insight on technical considerations. In addition, we will review typical precast building components and learn how to manage a successful project.
Total Precast Concrete Solutions
Total precast concrete building systems, where architectural and structural precast/prestressed concrete components are combined to create the entire building, are becoming the format of choice for many construction teams. Combining architectural and structural functions creates advantages that include speed, flexibility and aesthetics.
Precast structural systems have the inherent ability to resist heavier loads than originally planned; for instance, a total precast structure can withstand more severe storms than its original design. Precast systems have been known to withstand the heavy, wet snows in the Midwest much better than other structural systems, and some owners with total precast systems have enjoyed lower insurance rates as a result.
The benefits offered by total precast concrete systems add a variety of assets to the owner, architect, general contractor and structural engineer’s bottom lines — and ultimately benefit the end user. The system provides an efficient design, cost effectiveness and a strong, durable appearance that will maintain its image throughout a long service life.
Wells has manufactured and erected more than 6,000,000 sq. ft. of total precast concrete projects in the past three years alone, take a peak at our ever growing list of total precast projects here.
Total Precast Resources
- PCI Midwest Precast Focus: Total Precast
- Wells Blog: Total Precast Makes Business Sense – April 2020
- Wells Blog:Total Precast is the Solution for General Contractors – April 2020
- Wells Blog:Total Precast in Building Structures – April 2020
- Wells Blog:Total Precast Solutions for Office Building Design – February 2020
- Wells Newsletter:Total Precast Concrete Solutions – May 2019
- Wells Blog:Total Precast Structures in the Urban Environment – March 2019
- Wells Blog:Why Are More Structural Engineers Choosing Total Precast Concrete Buildings – December 2017